Tuesday, January 25, 2011

boulangeries, pâtisseries, cafés, ô mon!

Most of my encounters with French employees have been somewhat humorous, flustering, and slightly uncomfortable. I'm trying to learn all of the useful phrases to respond to the questions they pose in french. I can order, but as for responding to their question..."Je ne sais pas??" 
On our way into Angers from Paris, we stopped at a gas station (a swanky one at that) for lunch/snacks. I ordered un sandwich végétarien. Turns out this doesn't always mean it includes vegetables. Sans vegetables, I devoured the delicious cheese and bread. 
In the 11 days since then, I've consumed more than enough pains au chocolat, a few eclairs (un chocolat et un café), deux cafés, trois cappuccinos, France's version of pizza hut, vin, et sandwiches sandwiches sandwiches. 
I now know that I can survive, or at least order food, in France without knowing more than a few key phrases. 
Of course I'm trying to learn as much of the language as I can in four months, but for now I'm using "Je parle un petit peu francais" quite a bit. 

2 comments:

  1. Who ever is dating that girl is one lucky dude, you are hotttt!!!!

    ReplyDelete