Tuesday, January 25, 2011

le marché!

I ventured to the street market this past Saturday to see what I would come across and what I could actually effectively use French to buy. 
I walked to the corner of Boulevard Foch and saw the tables and tents lined up along the street. It was intimidating to say the least and I failed at first trying to wait in line for les pommes. Those french old ladies are feisty! This very nice man, who resembled Bono, offered to let me cut in line but I was a petite bit flustered at this point. I gave up and moved on to some cheaper oranges and VOILA! 4 oranges paid for and whisked into my backpack. I had to cross through the meat/fish part of the market (pue!) toget to more vegetables. I bought two big platefuls of carottes et courgettes for two euros. So CHEAP! I hope I wasn't scammed into buying poor quality vegetables. The vegetable man seemed very surprised when I said "Je suis Americain." 
I bought myself a pain aux raisin on the way back to the residence and defrosted myself sitting next to the heater.
We don't have ovens to cook with, but we do have a microwave and stovetop. I've steamed broccoli and carrots, cooked copious amounts of pasta, and made a cheese and avocado omelet for dinner last night.


No comments:

Post a Comment