Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Paris!


Paris was...interesting. We arrived Saturday morning and stayed until Sunday afternoon. We did the customary touristy things like "Le Louvre" and "La Tour Eiffel." I was on edge the entire weekend, weary of gypsies and pick-pockets that I had been warned of and seen. The gypsies that our group encountered lured people in by asking a simple question, "do you speak English?" If you responded with a "yes,"they would bombard you with a story about their family and small children back home and conclude with a, "Please, just a few cents." I feel bad for the gypsies who actually have children back home, but I believe the majority of beggars are playing their part in a game of how much money can I get from these stupid Americans. Then there were the men harassing tourists every few feet under the Eiffel Tower, selling trinkets: "For You, Only ONE EURO!" I did give in and bought six miniature Eiffel Tower key chains for ONLY ONE EURO. 
We ate lunch on the first (or second, I'm still not sure how far up we actually made it) level of the Eiffel Tower. The food was delicious and the set up was a bit unusual. The waiter took our drink order then gave us a ticket which had to be brought down to the half-partitioned kitchen to order our entrees and dessert. The cod fillet with risotto was absolutely wonderful. And for dessert, a chocolate praline cake. So yummy! And everything was cutely placed into individual containers which were brought to our table. 


And at the other end of the spectrum, a mouse. 
Shimarah and I stopped at "Quick." More like, quickly get out. I was enjoying my milkshake and cheesesticks and Shimarah was munchin on her fish sandwich when I saw a shadow of something on the floor. I looked down and saw a teeny tiny mouse. It scampered away when we both quickly jumped up onto the bar stools. Disgusting. We left soon after that. 
Despite the beautiful architecture (Notre Dame is breathtakingly gorgeous!) and the wonderful art, the streets of Paris are grimy and nerve-racking. I was continuously checking my purse for my wallet, camera, and passport. 
I did enjoy the food, minus the mouse, and the sites were definitely worth the trekking. I suppose I need to give Paris a second chance. 
I'll report back to ya'll when I do. 


1 comment:

  1. Loving the photos and descriptions. Keep doing smart stuff.

    ReplyDelete